Mineral pumice is a light grain from volcanic activity. Roman engineers used this mineral in ancient buildings in 1969. The main advantages of mineral pumice over similar building materials such as sand are very low density (about 0.7), high hardness and high porosity. The color of this mineral is white or whitish gray or yellow. Mineral pumice has different granulations from dust particles to large pieces with a diameter of more than 100 mm. Each of these sizes is used for specific purposes. At present, in addition to consumption inside Iran, it is also exported to the countries bordering the Persian Gulf, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, etc.
- Low specific gravity (0.5 to 0.7) so that it stays afloat
- Sound, heat and cold insulation
- Fire resistant, So that no change in volume and shape is achieved up to 760 degrees Celsius. Melting point of this mineral is 1342 ° C.
- Concrete and materials composed of mineral pumice have a high degree of durability relative to weight.
- To sloping roofs and floors (grains and particles smaller than 40 mm)
- To preparing light ceiling and wall blocks, light mosaic, light concrete*, light load-bearing parts and separating parts (grains and particles smaller than 15 mm)
- As sound insulation for engine rooms and noisy places (2 to 40 mm grains)
- As a heat insulator for refrigerators, hothouses and heat pipe cover (2 to 40 mm grains)
- For agricultural use in low water areas due to water absorption and storage properties (from fine particles to 30 mm grains)
- To bleaching fabrics (20 to 50 mm pieces)
- To use in the construction of dams, piers and bridges (powder-like particles)
- The mixture of this material with hydrated lime forms a kind of natural cement that hardens under and out of water. In the cement industry, this mineral can be used as one of the important components of cement:
– Disruption rate up to 40%: Portland pozzolanic cement
– Mixing percentage more than 40%: pozzolanic cement
* Concrete made of mineral pumice, in addition to lightness, also has extraordinary strength and resistance against various environmental factors.